[LUAU] Might I Be Hacked II

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Sat Jan 22 10:38:03 PST 2005

> folder. On a subsequent reboot of the system, the system is not coming
> up. During the boot-up process, after the default system font is set,
> the prompt for Interactive bootup comes up and then the screen blanks
> out as if going into X windows. The X changes into an hourglass and
> keeps turning and turning. It never seems to come up. I can't ping the
> system, so I guess it isn't going into that part of the startup.

Try rebooting the system with command line option "3" to go into
runlevel 3 (which doesn't start X during startup), or command
line option "-s" (which hardly starts anything at all).  To do
so, simply add the option to the end of the boot line.  To do
this in grub scroll to the menu option you want to boot, type
"e" to get the editor, scroll to the line you want, type "e"
to edit, then make your changes.  If I got that wrong for some
reason, the notes at the bottom of the menu will have details.

> And the
> kicker-I have been working on this site and JUST got the last bit of it
> up this morning and intended to back up everything now that it is
> completed...ARGH!

As Vince pointed out, probably the first thing you should do is
backup your data before you poke around more.  Good luck.

> --John

Tim N.