[LUAU] Might I Be Hacked II

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Fri Jan 21 19:06:08 PST 2005

s/Hacked/Compromised/

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 02:31:21PM -1000, John S. Johnson wrote:
> On a subsequent reboot of the system, the system is not coming
> up. During the boot-up process, after the default system font is set,
> the prompt for Interactive bootup comes up and then the screen blanks
> out as if going into X windows.

..

> And the kicker-I have been working on this site and JUST got
> the last bit of it up this morning and intended to back up
> everything now that it is completed...ARGH!

If you are seriously concerned that your system may have been
compromised, I would focus on trying to recover your data first.
Boot off a live-CD and copy off what important data you have.

Then go exploring. Reinstall once you are fed up.

If this is just simple configuration issue, you can try booting
into single-user mode and manually start services until you find
the culprit. This is similar to Tim's suggestion, but in reverse.

-Vince