[LUAU] Loading a tar.gz file in Debian Linux

webmaster at hawaiidakine.com webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Thu Feb 24 11:05:29 PST 2005

Vince Hoang wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:27:35PM -1000, webmaster at hawaiidakine.com wrote:
>
>>Anybody know the best directory to open the gui window manager
>>xfce from a tar.gz file.
>

> You mean install from source? Untar it and read the INSTALL file.
> Or bail on the source package install and use a _supported_
> package.
>

>>This Debian Linux version is "sarge". I am a FreeBSD person
>>and the file structure in "sarge" is not easy to figure out.
>

> It is all *nix under the hood.
>
> I think you are referring to the SysV layout of /etc. Order
> Nemeth's _Linux Aministration Handbook_ and google for Linux's
> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard while you wait for it to ship.
>

>>Like I don't want a gui boot up I want to start with a command
>>line.
>

> Neither do I. `rm /etc/rc?.d/S???dm`
>

>>So I have finally, after reading the top complaints on
>>the Debian list, figured out how to start a gui under level 3
>>when you need to have it. I want to have a simple gui XFCE3,
>>not KDE and only XFCE4 is available on the apt-get.
>

> Like in your prior question about XFCE3 on FreeBSD, skip it and
> install XFCE4; this time via apt.
>
> -Vince

Hi Vince,

I tried xfce4 and do not like it. I can get xfce3 to work on FreeBSD
with the patch. All the icons are missing from 4 that we use in common
on all our boxes is another reason.

I havent done Linux for about 4 years and you are right the SysV is just
different enough to be confusing. There are now 2 layouts for FreeBSD 4
and 5 and they are somewhat diffrent from each other and I have coped
with that so I hope to survive this too.

I have the 3rd edition of that Administration Hand book and I'll see
what will refresh my memory from that. Thanks for the tip.

Aloha!

Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Supporting Open Source in computing with FreeBSD 4.9
"Failure only happens when you stop trying." - Omar Periu