[LUAU] Loading a tar.gz file in Debian Linux

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Thu Feb 24 03:00:27 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:27:35PM -1000, webmaster at hawaiidakine.com wrote:
> Anybody know the best directory to open the gui window manager
> xfce from a tar.gz file.

You mean install from source? Untar it and read the INSTALL file.
Or bail on the source package install and use a _supported_
package.

> This Debian Linux version is "sarge". I am a FreeBSD person
> and the file structure in "sarge" is not easy to figure out.

It is all *nix under the hood.

I think you are referring to the SysV layout of /etc. Order
Nemeth's _Linux Aministration Handbook_ and google for Linux's
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard while you wait for it to ship.

> Like I don't want a gui boot up I want to start with a command
> line.

Neither do I. `rm /etc/rc?.d/S???dm`

> So I have finally, after reading the top complaints on
> the Debian list, figured out how to start a gui under level 3
> when you need to have it. I want to have a simple gui XFCE3,
> not KDE and only XFCE4 is available on the apt-get.

Like in your prior question about XFCE3 on FreeBSD, skip it and
install XFCE4; this time via apt.

-Vince