[LUAU] Loading a tar.gz file in Debian Linux

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Feb 24 11:36:39 PST 2005

On Feb 24, 2005, at 1:00 AM, Vince Hoang wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:27:35PM -1000, webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
> wrote:
>> Like I don't want a gui boot up I want to start with a command
>> line.
>
> Neither do I. `rm /etc/rc?.d/S???dm`

Uh, thats a bit brute-force, don't you think?

You can do this in several "supported" ways that are less likely to
break your system.

	•  Simply remove gdm, kdm and xdm  packages (not the best strategy,
unless you've determined that you won't use them at all)
or
	•  Delete the one and only line in /etc/X11/default-display-manager
(though this it affects all runlevels)

or the recommended way

	•  Delete all gdm, kdm and xdm (or just the one mentioned in
/etc/X11/default-display-manager) links in /etc/rc[X].d/ with the
	tool called  update-rc.d or install the rcconf dpkg (rcconf is like
RedHat/Fedora's sysconfig). Here [X] is your runlevel.
	For example: "update-rc.d -f xdm remove" removes xdm from all runleves.

	If you want to have xdm enabled on some specific runlevel, then after
removing  type "update-rc.d xdm start 99 3 .".
	to add an xdm startup link in runlevel 3.

To change the display manager

	• In Debian, type "dpkg-reconfigure  xdm" and make your choice.
	•  Or, if you like to do it the old way, edit
/etc/X11/default-display-manager

All that said, I only run debian on the colo boxes, and that only
because its too difficult to change now.   The desktop here is gentoo.

Jim