[LUAU] rh9 kernel nptl support

Charles Lockhart lockhart at IfA.Hawaii.Edu
Thu Feb 17 16:08:55 PST 2005

Angela Kahealani wrote:

>RedHat (or, as appropriate, substitute "Fedora") did a backport of NPTL
>so that it was contained in the default distro of Fedora Core 1, but
>may also have done for RH9, all of which is Legacy Fedora now. That that
>happened doesn't mean it did in other distros based on 2.4.x.

Yeah, I new that.  The nptl support stood out to me in FC1 because the
kernel rpm
had "nptl" in the name.  It came with a slew of other backported 2.5/2.6
features.
As did the RH9 kernel, I think.  Maybe an example, I think maybe the
O(1) scheduler wasn't
in the first RH9 factory kernel, but was added later, or something like
that <insert
confusion here>.

I'm finding old announcements from RH that one of the features of RH9 is
nptl,
but I'm not finding much in the way of details.  I have a multi-threaded app
where two of the threads sleep on a conditional, waiting for a signal from
another thread, but one of the threads is "lazy", works fine for a
while, then
starts taking breaks, then sometimes quits working altogether.  This
despite my
having set the priority and scheduling policies to pseudo-realtime and
there
appearing to be plenty of system resources available to do the job.

Maybe it's gone union.

While searching for something completely different, I came across that
tidbit
regarding the pre-nptl linux threads losing signals, which could explain
some of
the problems I'm having.  Except I think the kernel has the nptl stuff
built in.  I
don't see any references to NPTL in the config file.

>Which is why you want to track down the NPTL.RPM from either RedHat or
>the Fedora Legacy site for you 2.4 based RH9.

I'm not finding any references to a seperate nptl related rpm.  And I
get confused,
because I read one thing that says linux thread support has been moved into
glibc, while in other places I find references to it being part of the
kernel.