[LUAU] rh9 kernel nptl support

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Thu Feb 17 15:04:54 PST 2005

On Thursday 2005-02-17 11:51, Charles Lockhart wrote:
> Is/was nptl supported in all rh9 kernels (2.4.x)?  I kind of remember
> seeing "nptl" as part of the kernel name for some machines, but can't
> remember which ones.

RedHat (or, as appropriate, substitute "Fedora") did a backport of NPTL
so that it was contained in the default distro of Fedora Core 1, but
may also have done for RH9, all of which is Legacy Fedora now. That that
happened doesn't mean it did in other distros based on 2.4.x.

> NPTL is the 'state of the art' library. It uses the Thread Local
> Storage facilities and implements a real POSIX signal model. It is
> based on a 1:1 model but the performance is very good (compared to
> LinuxThreads and NGPT at least).
> It requires some features from late 2.5 or 2.6 kernels, such as TLS,
> futexes and so.
> ***

Which is why you want to track down the NPTL.RPM from either RedHat or
the Fedora Legacy site for you 2.4 based RH9.

--
All rights reserved without prejudice. All information and transactions
are non negotiable and are private between the parties.  Copyright 2005