[LUAU] rh9 kernel nptl support

Charles Lockhart lockhart at IfA.Hawaii.Edu
Thu Feb 17 13:51:22 PST 2005

Is/was nptl supported in all rh9 kernels (2.4.x)?  I kind of remember
seeing "nptl" as part of the kernel name for some machines, but can't
remember which ones.

Also, I ran across this tidbit on usenet, was wondering if anyone had
any practical experience with the problem:

***
LinuxThreads is the 'historical' thread implementation in *Linux*. It is a
1:1 model implementation based IIRC on signals for achieving some
synchronization tasks. The result is a high signals traffic and some
signals get lost. Also, there are some issues with respect to the POSIX
Standard (for example, each threads report a different PID).

NGPT was a library based on a M:N model, but I think it was aborted (to
be verified).

NPTL is the 'state of the art' library. It uses the Thread Local Storage
facilities and implements a real POSIX signal model. It is based on a
1:1 model but the performance is very good (compared to LinuxThreads and
NGPT at least).
It requires some features from late 2.5 or 2.6 kernels, such as TLS,
futexes and so.
***