[LUAU] linux for school file web server

Tom Gordon memeyou at memeyou.net
Thu Jun 24 09:34:01 PDT 2004

I've been using FC2 on a PE2600 (dual Xeon) in the DOE for a couple
weeks.  I have had no problems with it so far.  I also figure the
scheduling for the multiple processors in the 2.6 kernel is much
improved over 2.4.

Fedora also has repositories in Hawaii (fedora.us/hosef) which work with
yum, apt and up2date.

Slack 10 has just been released and has an option to use the 2.6.7
kernel.  But I don't follow it.

Hope this helps,

Tom

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 01:20, Ric wrote:
> Thanks for a great, informative list. The posters and
> admins constantly provide an awesome resource for
> people like me, and I thank you.
>
> I am a DOE high school classrooom teacher in a lab of
> about 23 Win XP Pentium 4s, doing mostly web design
> and animation. This past year I have been running the
> school's web server, and my classroom file server, on
> a donated IBM P2 running Red Hat 8. It's worked great!
> I had no Linux experience, yet with the help of a
> couple of O'Reilly books and well-commented config
> files (and this list), have had to spend a minimal
> amount of time sysadmining the server. I am convinced
> that Linux just works, and if it doesn't, there is
> plenty of help in the form of documents or experts.
> (This after I spent a month, a freaking month, trying
> to get Win2K Server running on the same machine.)
>
> Anyways, we just got 2 Dell PowerEdge servers, a 2500
> with a P3 and a 2600 with a Xeon. I was just wondering
> if anyone has any recommendations for which Linux
> distro I should install on them for doing the same
> thing as my current server - mostly file  and web
> serving. I'm not sure if I want to subscribe to the
> whole Red Hat Network dealio, even with the great
> academic discounts. What about Fedora or Slackware? I
> don't have a lot of time to do a thorough analysis of
> all the distros, but I'd love to take a look at a few
> of the best candidates.
>
> And yes... I am eventually going to convert all of Win
> XP desktops over to Linux within 2 years (already
> started to set up dual-boot machines this upcoming
> school year to run Maya on Linux)
>
> This list rocks!
>
> Ric

Tom Gordon <memeyou at memeyou.net>