[LUAU] linux for school file web server

Ric funkyspec at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 04:20:13 PDT 2004

Thanks for a great, informative list. The posters and
admins constantly provide an awesome resource for
people like me, and I thank you.

I am a DOE high school classrooom teacher in a lab of
about 23 Win XP Pentium 4s, doing mostly web design
and animation. This past year I have been running the
school's web server, and my classroom file server, on
a donated IBM P2 running Red Hat 8. It's worked great!
I had no Linux experience, yet with the help of a
couple of O'Reilly books and well-commented config
files (and this list), have had to spend a minimal
amount of time sysadmining the server. I am convinced
that Linux just works, and if it doesn't, there is
plenty of help in the form of documents or experts.
(This after I spent a month, a freaking month, trying
to get Win2K Server running on the same machine.)

Anyways, we just got 2 Dell PowerEdge servers, a 2500
with a P3 and a 2600 with a Xeon. I was just wondering
if anyone has any recommendations for which Linux
distro I should install on them for doing the same
thing as my current server - mostly file  and web
serving. I'm not sure if I want to subscribe to the
whole Red Hat Network dealio, even with the great
academic discounts. What about Fedora or Slackware? I
don't have a lot of time to do a thorough analysis of
all the distros, but I'd love to take a look at a few
of the best candidates.

And yes... I am eventually going to convert all of Win
XP desktops over to Linux within 2 years (already
started to set up dual-boot machines this upcoming
school year to run Maya on Linux)

This list rocks!

Ric