[LUAU] user experiences

Thomas Ryan Gordon Sr memeyou at memeyou.net
Fri Jul 16 13:49:56 PDT 2004

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

| However, I am thinking more than just static bug reporting.

Theres nothing static about it.  It's like a mailling list (for each
bug) and a forum.  For the sole purpose to talk to the developer in
charge of package-x.

| There are a lot of things we need to learn and then collect and
| share our experiences with each other.  Nothing is more effective
| than a face to face sharing of experiences.  The fact that our
| State is so cozy and totally isolated, with a strong but very foggy
| goal to export our services, underscores this need.It cannot be
| emphasized enough that Fedora "Core" is not supposed to be a
| self-contained OS (my interpretation anyway).  At the very least,
| you need to know how to configure the yum.conf file to add
| appropriate repositories, or provide a supplemental CD, for
| multi-media (DVD/VCD/MP3, etc) and Mozilla/java
| installations/updates.

All this can be added in %post in a kickstart file.

| Furthermore, in order to be an eventual corporate IS
| manager/consultant, you probably also need to be knowledgeable
| about RHEL, among many other things.  All in all, it is
| impracticable or impossible to try to learn these all by oneself.

RHEL users can get desktop support when they are lonely.

| This is another aspect of the "user experience" banner that I was
| talking about, basically it touches everything that falls under the
|  big umbrella of building a sellable Linux knowledge base.

Why build & sell when you can advocate & use?

| As I mentioned previously Hawaii Linux Institute was formed during
| the Linux bubble days as a local front-end to an out-of-state
| venture capital group.

The bubble was not specific to Linux.

| Of course things have changed drastically since then.  However, we
| still have a small operating budget which I believe can be diverted
|  to purchase hardware in setting up a barebone Linux "user
| experience" exchange center.

If you build it, will they come?  What is the end result of all this?
It all has to get back to the developers the way they want it.  Unless
your going to fund your own development in en effort to make money.

You can't expect people to use a strange computer for no good reason.
Why not just attend existing Linux training courses (for newbies) and
get their opinion there?  Or have your own classes with a survey after
(RH does).  It is a much more effective use of time, I think.

Tom