[LUAU] user experiences

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Jul 16 12:16:21 PDT 2004

Tom Gordon wrote:

>It is called Bugzilla.  How many bugs have we submitted?

One thing I have noticed about Fedora is that the developers seem to pay
great attention to Bugzilla, more so than other distros.  However, I am
thinking more than just static bug reporting.  There are a lot of things
we need to learn and then collect and share our experiences with each
other.  Nothing is more effective than a face to face sharing of
experiences.  The fact that our State is so cozy and totally isolated,
with a strong but very foggy goal to export our services, underscores
this need.

It cannot be emphasized enough that Fedora "Core" is not supposed to be
a self-contained OS (my interpretation anyway).  At the very least, you
need to know how to configure the yum.conf file to add appropriate
repositories, or provide a supplemental CD, for multi-media
(DVD/VCD/MP3, etc) and Mozilla/java installations/updates.  Furthermore,
in order to be an eventual corporate IS manager/consultant, you probably
also need to be knowledgeable about RHEL, among many other things.  All
in all, it is impracticable or impossible to try to learn these all by
oneself.  This is another aspect of the "user experience" banner that I
was talking about, basically it touches everything that falls under the
big umbrella of building a sellable Linux knowledge base.

As I mentioned previously Hawaii Linux Institute was formed during the
Linux bubble days as a local front-end to an out-of-state venture
capital group.  Of course things have changed drastically since then.
However, we still have a small operating budget which I believe can be
diverted to purchase hardware in setting up a barebone Linux "user
experience" exchange center.  I will talk about this if there appears to
be any chance this idea is workable.  Anyway, whether we like it or not,
it has been widely talked about that 2007 (or even sooner) will be a
watershed year for Linux.  Should or shouldn't we get better prepared?
It's our own call.  wayne