[luau] Linux

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Mon Jan 19 21:50:01 PST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:49:31 -0500
"email account" <jos_coh at lycos.com> wrote:

> I live in Honolulu and am interested in learning more about Linux.
>
> I've been spending a lot of time learning programming and website design
> for the past few months.  I am using Windows.  I would try installing
> Linux on my laptop but I have XP home edition and the Toshiba
> installation disks won't let me partition my hard drive.  I don't want
> to get rid of Windows because I have Windows software that I want to
> run.
>
> I found this list on the internet while searching for more information
> on Linux.  Any suggestions on where to start?  Or where to get a cheap
> computer where I could install Linux and see what it is about?

Setting up a dual-boot system (Win XP & other OS) on any hardware is a
tall order for a newbie; doing on a laptop is an even greater challenge.

To partition your hard drive you will need a separate program. I have used
PartitionMagic and recommend it, but it is commercial and the status is a
bit unclear now that they have been purchased by Symantec
(http://www.powerquest.com/). Other possibilities here:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Disk_Management/Partition/

Information about FreeBSD on laptops:

http://www.zapatec.com/freebsd/laptop/