[luau] FreeBSD zip drive install

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Mon Feb 2 18:22:00 PST 2004

Gary Dunn wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:46:17 -1000
> al plant <webmaster at hawaiidakine.com> wrote:

> > The BIOs setting was the fault.
> >
> > I cleared it by disabling the BIOs internal motherboard settings and
> > installing a printer card that I set to run at IRQ 7  - 0278 .
> > This brought up the zip drive with no problem.
> >
> > Then I removed the card and reset the internal motherboard back to IRQ 7
> > and 0378.
> > This brought up the zip drive with no problem. I did set the BIOs to EPP
> > as you suggested.
>
> Great! Please post your solution to the freebsd questions list, because I
> know there are others who have experienced this problem.
>
> I wonder if using the extra card is a necessary part of the solution. Do
> you think just changing the port address would do the trick? I have read
> that some systems ignore the EPP setting with a port setting of 3BC
> (original parallel port 1 on the monochrome video card), and in such cases
> changing it to 278 or 378 does the trick.

The BIOs options on the motherboard did not include the 3BC.

The zip  only worked after I shut off the motherboard BIOs and then
reselected the settings that worked. It was ok after I rebooted the box.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043