[LUAU] The Status of TPOSSCON

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sat Dec 11 13:13:24 PST 2004

As we know, HOSEF is putting together the Trans-Pacific Open Source
Software Conference this January.  I have discussed it in length and in
brief at times.  I am overdue for a report.  Give me 10 minutes, please.

Our mission is to promote and sustain OSS.  We have spent the last
several years successfully building the sustaining infrastructure.
There is and always will be free help with Linux and, in particular,
help with our school projects thanks to HOSEF.

We promote that OSS is an economic development engine as well as a
platform for innovation and entrepreneurialism.  We always have, and
this has been our implicit message from recent PR.  It would be nice if
all of our good works were followed by kind contributions and
membership, but they are not, and I don't like looking for handouts.

I do like looking for solutions, and TPOSSCON is part of the solution.
We learned earlier this year that grantwriters want cash we don't have,
and foundations want self-reliance.  We were urged to seek support from
the business community that we had not yet enlightened as to why they
should support us.  Catch-22.

The turnout at the IIPI conference in May, coupled with our strategic
proximity to the fastest growing OSS marketplace in the world,
determined me to do what must be done: Bring an OSS conference to Hawaii
that made a clear case to our businesses and government that
opportunities abound on either side of the Pacific.  Hence the birth of
TPOSSCON, The Trans-Pacific Open Source Software Conference, our
fund-raiser cleverly disguised as a convention.

I was appropriately taken to task for this.  After all, who is HOSEF to
take on such an event?  We're just Hawaii.  We don't do this.  True.
Humble, though, I sought affiliation, cooperation, and ownership from
others.  I found it.  Things looked good, they looked great, they looked
unreal.  Then, as the task loomed larger, people walked away.

This is where the story ends, right?  Humiliated and made certain that
without someone else's money and the assignment to do it, this is too
much for HOSEF.  Why bother.  The bucket is nice enough from in here.

Here is the rest of the story.  Note your scroll bar, because it is not
over.  Great works come from Ewa Beach.

With furious typing, to the extent of agonizing carpel tunnel syndrome,
we have lined up an impressive, and *still* growing, array of OSS
leaders, visionaries, and success stories. HOSEF is pleased to announce
that they will join us for the Trans-Pacific Open Source Software
Conference from the 17th to the 21st of January.

Some names are still making their way to the website, but, we will have
with us

CJ Coppersmith, Director, Linux Strategy, Hewlett-Packard
Horst Herb, creator of Gnumed
Dr. Stan Saiki of the Pacific Telehealth and Technology Hui
Tom Crabb, Director America's Operation, Novell
Dave Pickens, Chief Architect, Education and Research Computing, Sun
Jon "maddog" Hall, Linux International
Robin "roblimo" Miller, OSTG and Slashdot
Larry Rosen, Rosenlaw
Bruce Perens
Bill Weinberg, OSDL
John Terpstra, Primastasys, Samba
Mampu, The Malaysian Government Project for OSS
DHIT, The Malaysian IT Branch of DRB-HICOM

Rumour has it that Warren will join us, that's Warren of Mepis
Admiral Macke is still working on his schedule
Todd Ogasarawa is in the final stages of getting approval to discuss
their amazing inroads at the State
I have invited Jim Thompson of www.netgate.com to talk.  Embedded Linux
products engineered in Kaneohe.
Matt Darnell has been invited to talk about ServPac

and more.

OSTG, as in *NewsForge* and *Slashdot* are our media sponsors.  We will
be covered.  Note that roblimo is coming.

Keep an eye on the website,

http://www.tposscon.com

and think about registering.  No.  Register *now* and tell your friends.
  Now.  Your badge for this will cost $40 until the end of the year.  It
changes on January 1.

Help will be needed.  If you want to volunteer to assist, contact me.
If you are a graphical wizard, we *need* help *now* in the worst way
producing 8.5x11 glossies of the event and other media pieces.

Oh, this has all been done with the kind commitment and cooperation of
the Convention Center, IcesHawaii, some amazing advisors to TPOSSCON,
and no cash.  My amex card is starting to swell, though, so I need about
a thousand of us to attend.  Please do your part, even if that is just
attending.  You will not regret it.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford