[LUAU] A CMS Question from the State

Vince Hoang vince.hoang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 02:31:47 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:53:45 -1000, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
> I received this question from a state contact in the DOE.  Anyone want
> to offer their perspective?

Sorry for the late response.

> I meant to discuss this when you come to do the server install but would
> you be able to advise/recommend or give pros/cons in using the following
> open source web portal/content management programs that you mentioned
> (and/or any other ones)?
>
> - Plone (what I'm using now)

> - Ability to customize Layout/Templates/Skins with minimal programming -
> prefer to use something that is simple but allows some flexibility
> without the need for an experienced web developer.
> - Upload files (e.g. documents, graphics, PDFs, etc.)
> - Ability to assign roles/privileges to users (e.g. Reviewers,
> Approvers, etc.) who are posting web content.

This is like asking for a firewall that offers flexible access
control, intrusion prevention, VPN support, and can be managed by
someone without network experience;

Or asking for a database with ACID compliance, replication, stored
procedures, and can be managed via a GUI by someone with no database
experience.

They could stick with Plone since a number of folks have spent a
considerable amount of time supporting it within the state. Content
management systems are complex beasts that really require someone with
solid experience of the underlying architecture. It would make the
most sense for a few of the folks in ICSD to host plone servers to the
less technical departments.

-Vince