[LUAU] Window manager missing under FreeBSD 5.3

webmaster at hawaiidakine.com webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Tue Dec 7 09:43:10 PST 2004

Vince Hoang wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:14:53 -1000, webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
> <webmaster at hawaiidakine.com> wrote:
>

>>I also discovered that the config utility doesnt place the xorg.conf in
>>the /etc/X11 file . Several people told me that it should. Moved to
>>there manually and was able to fix a mouse error manually then.
>>
>>I think that twm or some other window manager is loading because of some
>>error.
>

> Yes. X11 is already setup. Play with your .xsession file instead to
> avoid mucking up your working X11 subsystem.
>
> I still think you should upgrade to xfce4. Development on xfce3
> stopped years ago.
>
> -Vince

Hi Vince,,,

I did like you suggested.

I got the xfce4 to install on the FreeBSD5.3, you may be right that
xfce3 is not up to date enough to fit the xorg system. However I find
the xfce3 cleaner and easy to work with and set up on different (some
old) boxes. I find it  is a challange to get the 6 programs I install on
every box to come up through the pop-up windows. I have had to run:
locate on all but one to find the correct path. Under xfce3 with xf86
they all went into the same X11 directory where I could link to them now
the paths are not the same, by default the xfce4 goes to another
directory,  but I have found them all finally.

Aloha!

Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Supporting Open Source in computing with FreeBSD 4.9
"Failure only happens when you stop trying." - Omar Periu