[LUAU] Fedora Core "3" Test 1

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Aug 4 14:40:33 PDT 2004

ronal at aloha.com wrote:

>Great report Wayne,
>
>I have a question, before I install FC 1,2, or 3, are these releases an
>indication of things to come, where there seems to be 2 revisions in a 6
>month period of time?
>
>And where do you see the distribution stabilizing? FC 5 or 7?
>
>Also are the differences between the three that profound for a desktop install?
>
>Thanks.

For desktops, I don't notice any difference in installs.  In fact, I am
still using FC1 as my primary desktop (b/c I need compatibility with
Win4Lin).

One of the main inconveniences of using FC1 is that there is no
idiot-proof way of upgrading certain software (e.g., to OpenOffice 1.1
or Mozilla beyond 1.4).  Of course, you can always use rawhide to do the
upgrade.  However, unless you know what you're doing, this is not
encouraged.

If you don't have the kind of particular need that I have, FC2 with a
post-installation update--or FC3T1 if you don't want to be bothered with
running yum--should be the preferred option.  (As I have learned now,
FC2 Test 1 is the final version of FC1, and FC3 Test 1 is the final
version of FC2; so far the "test" versions actually started with Test
2.)  wayne