[luau] Saving in /home

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Mon Sep 29 22:03:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:14:49PM -1000, Nakashima wrote:
> I'm very green so you'll have to speak slowly. We are using Samba to
> talk to our Windoze machines. How does this relate to umask?

Not much.

> So umask controls the permissions assigned to new files as they
> are create right? How do I set umask in /etc/bashrc? Is it just
> like editing a text file?

Yes.
$EDITOR /etc/bashrc
Yes.

> If I want the permissions assigned to new files to be 770 then
> I should set the mask to 007 right?

Well, in unix, having a umask of 000 will still only create
files with mode 0666. You will have to manually chmod to add the
execute bits. But, since you are using samba, there are quite a few
options you can set per share, starting with create mask:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#CREATEMASK

The options I am referring to are create mode, directory mode,
and force group. Do note that you do not need a mode of 0770. If
the teacher is part of the group that the file belongs to then
all you need is a mode of 0640.

-Vince