[luau] Saving in /home

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Mon Sep 29 21:12:00 PDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 04:49  PM, tom_gordon at notes.k12.hi.us
wrote:

> If you aren't using Samba  then the default file permission are taken
> from
> "umask" (env variable) subtracted from 777.
>
> you can set umask in /etc/bashrc and it might be set somewhere on the
> system also (~/bashrc)
>
> look for umask=177 which would be the culprit (022 is default on
> redhat).

I'm very green so you'll have to speak slowly. We are using Samba to
talk to our Windoze machines. How does this relate to umask?

So umask controls the permissions assigned to new files as they are
create right? How do I set umask in /etc/bashrc? Is it just like
editing a text file?

If I want the permissions assigned to new files to be 770 then I should
set the mask to 007 right?