[luau] Saving in /home

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Sep 29 23:09:00 PDT 2003

If the user is creating files over a samba share you can change the
default permissions by changing the options on smb.conf (or SWAT) for that
share.

Here is the man page for umask:

 umask [-p] [-S] [mode]
              The user file-creation mask is set to mode.  If mode begins
with
              a  digit,  it is interpreted as an octal number; otherwise
it is
              interpreted as a symbolic mode mask similar to that accepted
 by
              chmod(1).   If mode is omitted, the current value of the
mask is
              printed.  The -S option causes the mask to be  printed  in
sym-
              bolic  form;  the  default output is an octal number.  If
the -p
              option is supplied, and mode is omitted, the output is in a
form
              that may be reused as input.  The return status is 0 if the
mode
              was successfully changed or if no mode  argument  was
supplied,
              and false otherwise.

here is a real example:

[memeyou at memeyou test]$ umask 077
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ umask
0077
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ touch mooo
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ ls -lta
total 8
drwxrwxr-x    2 memeyou  memeyou      4096 Sep 29 22:26 .
-rw-------    1 memeyou  memeyou         0 Sep 29 22:26 mooo
drwx--x--x   29 memeyou  memeyou      4096 Sep 29 22:23 ..
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ umask 002
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ umask
0002
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ touch moo
[memeyou at memeyou test]$ ls -lta
total 8
drwxrwxr-x    2 memeyou  memeyou      4096 Sep 29 22:26 .
-rw-rw-r--    1 memeyou  memeyou         0 Sep 29 22:26 moo
-rw-------    1 memeyou  memeyou         0 Sep 29 22:26 mooo
drwx--x--x   29 memeyou  memeyou      4096 Sep 29 22:23 ..

Have fun!

Tom

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
Sent by:        luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu