[luau] fedora q's

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Sep 23 09:46:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:06:46AM -1000, Charles Lockhart wrote:
> I looked at the fedora mirror list already, but it seems to
> me that's a list of mirrors for fedora, which doesn't have
> the packages I was looking for. Of course, I could be very
> wrong, but the ones I checked certainly seemed to have the same
> content as the local fedora server.

Ah. I get it now. I misundertood your question. You wanted more
3rd party packages that are not offered by fedora and freshrpms.
To me, servers for both projects are (were?) 3rd party servers.
Fedora and the freshrpms mirrors are the only ones I use. There
may be other trustworthy servers, but I would not stray too far.

> But while it did help me to get apt/yum installed and my stuff
> already loaded updated just fine, more or less, it didn't tell
> me anything about 3rd party servers. I'd like to try to load a
> working version of xine, for instance.

I see xine offered by freshrpms.

http://freshrpms.net/apt/repositories.html

> I have been trying to get the apt/yum/synaptic stuff I
> installed from fedora to work with freshrpms, but to no avail.
> I don't know what the incompatibility is, or if it's just
> something I'm being stupid about.

You may have foo'd the freshrpm target in your sources.list.

> To be honest, I found Warren's response to be fairly arrogant.
> "These are easily found with Google. Please do not ask me to
> point the way." Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but I really
> just didn't apreciate the attitude.

Wrong delivery.

-Vince