[luau] fedora q's

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 23 09:05:00 PDT 2003

Hi Vince,

Probably it's me missing the big picture, or maybe a bunch of smaller
pictures, but:
Warren said that these other packages I was interested were available
via apt/yum from 3rd party servers.  I guess that meant to me that they
aren't available from fedora or redhat, but were available somewhere else.

I looked at the fedora mirror list already, but it seems to me that's a
list of mirrors for fedora, which doesn't have the packages I was
looking for.  Of course, I could be very wrong, but the ones I checked
certainly seemed to have the same content as the local fedora server.

I'd already read the HOWTO, which is how I downloaded and started using
apt and yum.  Which, by the way, are just awesome.  I mean, really,
really awesome.  My fingers are tingling at this potential I've stumbled
across (which, apparently, the rest of the world has known about for
some time).  But while it did help me to get apt/yum installed and my
stuff already loaded updated just fine, more or less, it didn't tell me
anything about 3rd party servers.  I'd like to try to load a working
version of xine, for instance.

I have been trying to get the apt/yum/synaptic stuff I installed from
fedora to work with freshrpms, but to no avail.  I don't know what the
incompatibility is, or if it's just something I'm being stupid about.

Also, was I being a total knob or something?  As a computer guy, the
first thing I try to do is to figure it out, then start searching for
info on the web via google and others, then try to figure it out again.
   Then, if everything fails, I finally decide that I need to buck up
and confess my ignorance to an entire community of other computer people.

To be honest, I found Warren's response to be fairly arrogant.  "These
are easily found with Google. Please do not ask me to point the way."
Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but I really just didn't apreciate the
attitude.

Uh, starting to rant, need to stop now.

Thanks,

-Charles