[luau] Proposed LTSP Server Config

Dwight dwight at aikanaka.com
Sat Sep 20 21:36:43 PDT 2003

Allow me to step up on my soapbox for a minute...

<rant>

To build any world-class business (or industry, for that matter) Honolulu
requires a wide, deep pool of skilled applicants to draw from.  I fail to
see how Honolulu can become the "Linux capital of the world" when our public
high schools are seriously underfunded and UH is more concerned with
athletics than academics (i.e., June Jones and his $800K salary).

The intellectual infrastructure required to produce skilled workers is sadly
lacking in Honolulu.  There is no way we can compete with the likes of China
or India, both of which have thousands of software/hardware engineers
graduating each year from state-run/state-sponsored educational
institutions.

Importing workers would be difficult at best.  We already have brain-drain
to the mainland - the cost of living here is too high for most people
(including those who return or relocate from the mainland) - how do we fix
that?

There are no incentives for business to relocate their operations to
Honolulu, in fact, you already mentioned your "failed attempts to interest"
some clients.  The governor is already eyeing the various tax breaks
available for technology with thoughts of gutting it completely...thereby
reducing their effectiveness.

To me, it sounds like Linux has become the current band-wagon or
buzzword...I can recall recently when "call centers" were the band-wagon of
the day.  I think you can plainly see that the call center boom hasn't
materialized as promised.

</rant>

Now, I'm not saying that it's not possible for Honolulu to become the "Linux
capital of the world;" I'm just saying that it's highly unlikely.
Especially with the way things are looking here, technology-wise.

Dwight...