[luau] Proposed LTSP Server Config

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sat Sep 20 08:29:00 PDT 2003

Wow, this is EXCITING!  (I apoligize for not trimming the quoted
comments; the information contained in these two threads was simply too
valuable.)

Yesterday, I had breakfast with Honolulu city councilman Rod Tam, who
chairs the city council's business development committee.  He indicated
that he will push a proposal aimed at making Honolulu the "Linux capital
of the world" (as part of the multi-billion-dollar Kaka'ako Waterfront
development project).  Don't laugh at this idea.  Let's face it, what
other options do we have?

Rod and I have been talking about "growing" Linux in Hawaii for quite
some time, since when he was chairman of Hawaii Senate's business
development committee.  I am an outside legal counsel to the national
research laboratories of Taiwan, which, in addition to its $500M annual
R&D budget, also serves as the incubator of Taiwan's high tech industry.
  After many failed attempts to interest some of my clients to set up
their manufacturing plants here (now you can really laugh at this idea),
it becomes patently clear that the kind of high-tech industry that has
any chance of growing roots--and creating jobs--on our islands must be
software-based, and it must also involve internet and services.  And
when you mix the three ingredients--software, internet, and service,
they magically turn into a 5-letter word: Linux.

There is also another urgent reason to consider Linux.  Microsoft
Windows has become inherently insecure.  I am not talking about virus,
worms, or whathaveyou--most sysadms think they can handle these problem
(until it gets out of control, of course).  The problem is that, in
order to continue to sell Windows to the Chinese government, Bill Gates
has agreed to open Windows' source code to the Chinese government.
While most Americans, especially those in Hawaii, don't think about the
dire consequences, most major private Chinese have been avoiding Windows
like plague.  Of course there are other articulable reasons, but I have
noticed that many giant financial institutions such as Fidelity, Charles
Schwab, CitiCorp, First Boston, Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, etc., have
recently switched to Linux.  Coincidence?  While this move can be
attributed to their UNIX roots, many actually had been talking about
switching to Windows servers.

However, in order to have any chance of our city (and eventually the
state) adopting Linux, there must be application tools that can do the
chores that are now being done with Microsoft Office and WordPerfect.
The fact that OOo can now be loaded in less than 10 seconds is certainly
a big plus.  But whether we can quickly develop a reliable user
experience database (for OOo) and compile a list of functional
equivalants, holds the key to the next step.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Warren.

Wayne