[luau] control arrows in bash

Kevin English kevin at english.net
Sat Sep 20 21:36:35 PDT 2003

ok this may be a silly question but remember: there are no stupid
questions, just stupid people.
  In redhat when i my command line (bash), i can use the control arrow
keys to jump from word to word when i do my command line editing. like
if i have a command like './do.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4 arg5 arg6 arg7
arg8 arg9', i can use control left arrow to move the cursor back one arg
and control right arrow to go forward one arg. kind of like typing 'w'
or 'b' in vi. Now i'm working on a debian system and this does not seem
to be enabled. I have to do the emacs style 'esc-f'/'esc-b' but with the
'esc-f' you can't hold down the 'esc' key and just keep hitting 'f', you
have to release it everytime which gets annoying.
  if anyone knows how to enable the control arrow thingie in the shell i'd
be forever in your debt. i'm sure it's just some silly one line thing i
can pop in my .bashrc....

kevin