[luau] nForce2, KM266 & Business Linux Desktops

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sun Sep 14 11:15:01 PDT 2003

Another point I want to mention about nForce2 and KM266 is the dual-X
configuration.  Ever since  Microsoft Windows-XP "introduced" the dual
monitor option, many estate planning lawyers now cannot live without
using two monitors. However, the majority of computer users are not
aware that the dual-X (or actually, multiple-X) features provided in
Linux are actually much more powerful than in Win-XP.

Since RedHat does not automatically configure the X window to
accommodate dual monitors, I am enclosing an example XF86Config file
which was configured for nForce2 with the nVidia driver.  An actual code
is better than a thousand words.  It should be self-explanatory.

If you are not using Win4Lin, you can comment out the "backingstore"
option.  Also, as someone might notice, I have commented out the
"Xinerama" option.  This allows each display (i.e., each monitor) to
function as a separate desktop, but, as you might have guessed, it
disallows one window from being extended to another.  (I commented out
the Xinerama option b/c I am not an estate planning lawyer and do not
need a big spreadsheet.)   If you need a big wide screen, just uncomment
it (which will in effect turn a 1024 x 768 screen into a 2048 x 768
screen; this is what Win-XP does).

KM266 does not have two video outputs as does nForce2, but it includes a
TV-out.  Many high-end TVs nowadays have a resolution better than 800 x
600.  The dual-X capability allows a Linux user to browse the web using
your TV, while diligently doing your work.

I am sure everyone is aware of this rule when editting your XF86Config
file--always make a backup copy.  If your X window won't start (b/c you
made a typo or otherwise screwed up somewhere else), simply press
cntl-alt-F1 and login as root to copy back your original XF86Config,
then restart your X window.  This is one advantage that has made many
former Windows users never go back to Windows.

The example XF86Config file (for RH9):

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "DualHead"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    Screen        1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
#    Option           "Xinerama"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"

    RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "DevInputMice"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "PV1710"
    DisplaySize  340    270
    HorizSync    30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
    Option        "NoLogo" "1"
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor1"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "PV1710"
    DisplaySize  340    270
    HorizSync    30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
    Option        "NoLogo" "1"
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard-0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    BusID         "PCI:2:0:0"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
    VideoRam    32768
    Option         "backingstore"
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard-1"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    BusID        "PCI:2:0:0"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
    VideoRam    32768
    Option "backingstore"
    Screen 1
EndSection