[luau] nForce2, KM266 & Business Linux Desktops

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Sep 12 21:44:00 PDT 2003

Thanks for sharing your experience Eric.

The so-called "tweaking" is really not nearly as bad as I sounded.

With KM266, if it doesn't install (i.e., no video during
installation--typically experienced with RH9 or MDK9, no problem with
earlier versions), all you need to do is to make sure that you specify
using the VESA driver before installation.  Then after installation,
edit the XF86config file, by changing the driver from "vesa" to
"savage", and adding an option: "useBIOS" "no".  The latter is the fruit
of my working with VIA engineers and is CRITICALLY important.

With nForce2, there are two separate tasks involved: installing the
drivers (for sound, USB, and NIC), and patching the kernel.  The first
task is very straightforward.  Just follow the instructions.

With the new paging mechanism, patching the kernel is substantially
simplified.  All you need to do is run the "correct" rpm.  To make sure
that there is no conflict (and that the rpm is optimized for your CPU),
the best way is to download the source rpm, then rebuild the binary rpm
using the following command (this is where nVidia screwed up):

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-xxx.src.rpm

This will create a binary rpm.

You have to repeat the process every time you update your kernel.  But
for desktop applications, I really don't see any need to update the
kernel.  Of course, the 2.6 kernel is a different story.  I haver heard
awesome stories about running desktop applications under the 2.6 kernel,
and I can't wait to see it becoming "stabilized".

Wayne