[luau] what to restart to get networking running?

Keith krjw at optonline.net
Tue Sep 9 07:44:01 PDT 2003

* Charles Lockhart <lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu> [09/09/2003 1239EDT]:
> I've got a really bare bones system with an ethernet card that I had
> to build the drivers for.  I'm building the drivers as a module.
> After booting up, I use "insmod thedriver.o", and it seems to install
> ok, but then I still can't ping out or in.  I can't think of what I'm
> doing wrong, there's probably something that I'm forgetting to
> restart, but I just can't remember.  I use lsmod, and the thedriver is
> listed, but listed as being unused.  Advice?

After you build the driver and install it, be sure to do a 'depmod -a'
as root to the module dependecy listings.  It's also wiser to use
modprobe instead of insmod because modprobe will resolve module
depencies whereas insmod will not.  So instead of 'insmod thedriver.o'
do 'modprobe thedriver' (the .o extension is ommitted).

After inserting the driver you need to configure the network interface
with 'ifconfig'.  Take a look at the man page for ifconfig.  An example
of its usage is:

bash# ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
> broadcast 192.168.0.255 up

You may also need to add a static route to your default gateway using
the 'route' command.  Something like:

bash# route add default gw 192.168.0.1 dev eth0

Be sure your loopback device (lo) is configured as well.  Execute
'ifconfig' with no arguments to get a listing of what interfaces are
configure and up.

Good luck.
krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]
brokee, n: