[luau] replacement server

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Thu Sep 4 23:11:05 PDT 2003

I have a new community server for us.  Many of you know that Videl has
become burdened with the Fedora project, among other things.  We are no
longer able to mirror all that we once had, and according to Warren, our
cpu usage is consistently very high.

The machine is the thin client server we have been using in our HOSEF
workshops and classes.  It is a dual Athlon MP 1600+, 1.5 gb ram,
gigabit ethernet card, and two WD 80 GB 7200 rpm 8mb cache drives.  With
the 120 gb I donated to HOSEF that currently powers Videl, we should be
in good shape for years to come.

Some of you may know that we have rolled LUAU into the HOSEF
organization.  Some of you may know that we have created HOSEF so that
there is a democratically elected board that is in charge of the list
policies and hardware management.  The idea is to prevent any one person
from wielding too much power or influence over our *public* list.  The
idea is also to have a democratically elected board to manage these
resources.

HOSEF is a volunteer based 501(c)(3) charity.  Once a gift is given to
it, it cannot be returned.  I will get a deduction for this, and we will
all get a new and faster machine.  If you want to have a say in how we
put it to use, please get involved with what we are doing with HOSEF.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/chair/Treasurer
scott at hosef.org

success without humility is just an indulgence in arrogance