[luau] installing Win98 where factory XP was

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 4 20:10:01 PDT 2003

HI;  as few months ago, I tried to install Win98se on a compaq presario
711 cl notebook which had come with XP preinstalled. First I wiped and
reformatted the drive. The installation seemed to go ok and windows came
up and seemed to run ok but I was unable to install/load/run the netowrk
or sound drivers from the compaq website. That is I located them and ran
the install routine but windows rejected them. Very frustrating since XP
is bigger and slower. Does anyone have any clues? I know Warren had some
experience installing RH on this machine. Thanks.