[luau] Digital Video Editting in Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sun Oct 12 11:12:01 PDT 2003

Wow, I am impressed!  Thanks for the info.

As I mentioned to Vince (see attached*), the purpose of my thought is
not about making films, but about baby-sitting one or more of the
open-sourced projects.  In short, I only have a very narrowly focused
goal at the present time, i.e., to try to run Jahshaka (free) or
MainActor (not free) on "Warren's platform" (i.e., Fedora Linux).  The
scope of this project can expand, if I see promise--or you or someone
else can branch/take over, etc.  The advantage of working with Olela is
that their have the front end equipment as well as a studio and tons of
people to interact with, plus it operates until 9 PM.

*Thanks.  "Jahshaka" is still in the alpha stage, and we all know how
raw an open-sourced program can be before it becomes mainstream.  Thus,
there is no need to make a big deal at present.  Just need one or two
volunteers, with or without Linux experience, who are willing to
patiently go through the beta testing rituals and are unafraid to take
abuses/ridicules from those Mac people.  (Most Olelo techs are
volunteers, they are very nice people but worship Macs religiously.)

In order to use Olelo equipment, the volunteers must go through a set of
courses and be certified.  The tuitions are trivial but I will pick them
up.  Digital video editting seems to be one of the best hopes to get our
community really really interested in Linux.  But again, the available
tools are still very primitive.  Time is our best friend.  Wayne