[luau] Digital Video Editting in Linux

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Mon Oct 13 00:02:00 PDT 2003

> Wow, I am impressed!  Thanks for the info.
>
> As I mentioned to Vince (see attached*), the purpose of my thought is
> not about making films, but about baby-sitting one or more of the
> open-sourced projects.  In short, I only have a very narrowly focused
> goal at the present time, i.e., to try to run Jahshaka (free) or
> MainActor (not free) on "Warren's platform" (i.e., Fedora Linux).  The
> scope of this project can expand, if I see promise--or you or someone
> else can branch/take over, etc.  The advantage of working with Olela is
> that their have the front end equipment as well as a studio and tons of
> people to interact with, plus it operates until 9 PM.
>

> *Thanks.  "Jahshaka" is still in the alpha stage, and we all know how
> raw an open-sourced program can be before it becomes mainstream.  Thus,
> there is no need to make a big deal at present.  Just need one or two
> volunteers, with or without Linux experience, who are willing to
> patiently go through the beta testing rituals and are unafraid to take
> abuses/ridicules from those Mac people.  (Most Olelo techs are
> volunteers, they are very nice people but worship Macs religiously.)
>
> In order to use Olelo equipment, the volunteers must go through a set of
>  courses and be certified.  The tuitions are trivial but I will pick
> them  up.  Digital video editting seems to be one of the best hopes to
> get our  community really really interested in Linux.  But again, the
> available  tools are still very primitive.  Time is our best friend.
> Wayne

Hi Wayne,

   I installed jahshaka the other day on a redhat 9 box. While the
'./configure' went fine the 'make' bombed with something about the
'glut.so.o'(?). After a little searching around I found the answer,
answered from Jah himself. Here is what the work around is:

1. You will need to get both 'glut-3.7-8.i386.rpm and
glut-devel-3.7-8.i386.rpm'. You will want to install these using the 'rpm
-ivh --force <filename>'

2. Then you will want to remove the newer glut that comes with RH9, 'rpm
-e glut-3.7-12'(i think that is the version).

3. After these have been removed, do step one again to freshen the packages.

4. then run ldconfig

After I had done that the './configure, make, make install' worked without
a problem and the app  was up and running.

I hope this will be helpful for you, reading that you are going to install
it I thought I would share my experience.

Jon