[luau] Digital Video Editting in Linux

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Sat Oct 11 12:48:01 PDT 2003

> Aloha,
>
> Your e-mail is a little vague so I am not sure wht you are trying to do.
>  I think you want to put some Linux editing stuff at Olelo?
>
> I am a filmmaker here in Hawaii and a Linux user since late 93.  I
> mostly us M$ based products for my editing and effects.  I really like
> FCP, but I don't own a Mac.  I have an office full of PC, Sun, and SGI.
>
> I am always checking out what is going on with Linux and
> editing/effects. If I can help let me know.
>
> There are several companies that have ported their expensive comercial
> products to Linux.
>
> Eyeon Digital Fusion
> Discreet Smoke
> IFX Paint
> Apple Shake
> and much more
>
> Open source applications to check out are:
>
> Cinelerra - editor/compositor that is powerful and OK, the lead
> developer is not useful.  There is a sperate development community, but
> they take his code, patch it and then have to redo everything next
> release, because he won't accept any of their patches.
>
> Jahshaka - editor/compositor that is in early development stages
>
> Cinepaint - frame by frame painting program based on Gimp.  Used on a
> lot of big movies.
>
> Blender - 3D app
>
> K-3D - 3D app
>
> There are a few mailing list you can check out for more information

> http://developer.skolelinux.no/~herman/cinelerra/
>
> And a website to check out:
> http://www.linuxmovies.org/index.html
>

> Mainactor, which I have looked at in the past and didn't care for just
> came out with a new Linux version.  I didn't like it because it is too
> basic, but I think it does much more than iMovie, so it might be a good
> application to look at for Olelo.
>
> http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor_v5.shtml#linux
>

> Mahalo,
> Dusty

Dusty,

Thanks for taking the time to write this out. I have a friend that makes
music videos and uses his Mac to edit the videos. I finally got him to
start using Linux and he has been wanting to try and do the same thru
Linux. Because of your experience and expertise in this I have forwarded
the message on to him. This has been our topic of discussion for the past
week, so your post couldn't have had better timing. :)

Thanks for the post,

Jon