[luau] kernel advice

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Nov 15 00:25:01 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 00:01, Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Charles Lockhart wrote:
> >Undoubtedly it's my own ignorance causing me problems, so I was
> >wondering where I could look to understand the system they use.  Is
> >their a how-to or something like it available?  I've read some
> >documentation about making rpms, but it didn't fill in enough of the
> >blanks to get a good picture.
>
> I ran into similar problems.  But I believe the code found in the kernel
> source packages was used to build the kernel image in the distribution.
> You should be able to regenerate the patch by diff'ing this tree with the
> virgin tree.  At least this is how Debian does it.  Of course, Debian also
> distributes patch packages.  I was never able to find patch packages in
> Redhat.

ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.src.rpm
Most recent kernel from FC1 including NPTL, O(1) scheduler with
interactivity improvements from 2.6, and a ton of other stuff.

ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/redhat/linux/updates/9/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.20-20.9.src.rpm
Latest kernel for RH9 is similar except based on an older vanilla, and
scheduler lacks the interactivity stuff from the 2.6 kernel.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think both of the above have kernel
preemption patched and enabled.

kernel*.src.rpm contains the virgin tree tarball, spec file, and
thousands of patches which are applied to the kernel.  Read the spec
file to see how the thousands of patches are applied and in what order.

kernel-source RPMS contained in the regular RPMS directory contain the
source tree with all of those patches applied.

Either way look in the "configs" directory after patches are applied to
see the default kernel configuration files.  Copy one into the base and
call it ".config", then run "make oldconfig" to make sure it will work
with the source tree.

Warren