[luau] Re: Which Distribution To Go With

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Thu Nov 13 08:11:01 PST 2003

I just converted one of my kids computers from Debian to Fedora.
Well, not really
Debian but a HD install of Knoppix which is almost Debian.  The computer
is only a P200/192MB ram.  Very slow in this day and age but Debian with
KDE worked fine and very close to the the same responsiveness that his
existing Win98 install had (with the exception of OO which I removed,
Abiword is adequate for him).  Not so for the Fedora install using Gnome.
I does work but is very slow, barely useable.  Seems stable though so far.
I know this is very old equipment and I am just sharing my results.

On a side note..  Debian is on /dev/hda1 and Fedora on /dev/hda5.  I am
not familier with Grub but I can no longer boot from the Debian partition.
I tried several things with the the Grub configuration based on what I
could pull out of the Debian lilo.conf after I mounted the Debian
partition within Fedora.  The furthest I've got so far is a chain loader
error when attemting to boot Debian.  I
know this is VERY vague but any help would be taken!