[luau] Re: Which Distribution To Go With

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Thu Nov 13 09:09:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 01:15:12PM -0500, Yuser wrote:
> On a side note.. Debian is on /dev/hda1 and Fedora on
> /dev/hda5. I am not familier with Grub but I can no longer
> boot from the Debian partition. I tried several things with
> the the Grub configuration based on what I could pull out of
> the Debian lilo.conf after I mounted the Debian partition
> within Fedora. The furthest I've got so far is a chain loader
> error when attemting to boot Debian. I know this is VERY vague
> but any help would be taken!

The flexible, but convoluted way is to keep grub on /dev/hda and
reference /dev/hda1 using chainloader. Then change the boot in
lilo.conf to /dev/hda1 and rerun lilo. I think this is where you
are getting the chainloader error. You need lilo to install its
boot record on /dev/hda1.

The more straightforward approach is to do away with lilo and
edit a grub entry that references the root on /dev/hda1 and the
kernel on /dev/hda1.

If you want lilo to be the primary loader, keep it on /dev/hda,
and move grub's loader to /dev/hda5.

And the fault tolerant question: where is your boot floppy to
quickly get you out of situations like this? :)

-Vince