[luau] Re: Which Distribution To Go With

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Nov 5 09:46:02 PST 2003

Warren-

On September 5, 2003, RedHat filed for trademark registration of the
name "Fedora"

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=7e61u9.2.2

If I remember correctly, you have been using the trade name "Fedora" way
before that.  I am sure RedHat has you signed your right to Fedora to
them (RedHat also secured a permission from Cornell University to use
the same).  Of course I am not privy to your contract, but it can always
be argued that this contract was entered into with the understanding
that the name Fedora will be used by the world at large, subject to
certain "standard" trademark limitations (see RedHat's URL on these
limitations).  As long as you comply with those pro forma limitations,
RedHat cannot sue you for using the name "Fedora", as doing so would
make RedHat operating with a "dirty hand".  (This is what we commonly
refer to as a "promisory estoppel", but I don't think this is a place to
speak legalese.) If, OTOH, RedHat decides not to do anything with
Fedora, then RedHat is abandoning this tradename, and it will be
released to the public by default.

(This reminds me of an interesting story.  Some guy I knew in Houston
registered the tradename "Internet Explorer" with USPTO before Microsoft
used it.  Then he sued Microsoft and the case settled for a "mere" $5
million.)

This brings up another interesting issue.  You cannot operate a Fedora
mirror and call it as such without an approval from RedHat (because this
would be a trademark infringement).  However, if you obtain the entire
distribution it from anywhere, repackage it, and change its name to,
say, "Warren's Linux"--just kidding--without any mentioning of Fedora
(and of course, Red Hat), or whatsoever, then you won't have any
problem.  Interesting? Remember when Mandrake first came out, it was
RedHat + KDE, but Mandrake never mentioned the name RedHat?  This is not
a theft, but a strict compliance with the trademark rules.

As a final thought. It is naive to believe that corporations can afford
to full-heartedly support an open-source project, but it is also equally
naive to assume that the open-source community with all the volunteer
developers will work their butt out to satisfy "your" needs.  Thus, it
is important to try to establish a community that will eventually take
care of "our" own needs.  Now the thought about "Warren's Linux" may
make sense.  Just kidding.  Maybe not.  wayne