[luau] Open Office Malahini

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sun Nov 2 09:58:01 PST 2003

I never thought I would say this, but the progress of OOo has begun to
completely shock me.  As I mentioned in my previous posts, I had very
low opinions about OpenOffice.org, and those opinions were valid as late
as version 1.0.3 (the version that came with RH9).  In many aspects, at
version 1.1, OOo is better than Microsoft Office.  Feature-wise, I would
rank OOo 1.1 about the same as MSO 97.  But as we all know, Microsoft
Office is best known as a product whose quality goes down with each
newer version (since MSO 97, anyway).

OOo is an excellent desktop publishing program.  If you want to have a
taste of how far it can do (as far as DTP is concerned), go to the
"OpenOffice.org Starters' Guide" (a project maintained by a PhD student
at University of Maryland):

http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/openoffice/intro/

then click on the pdf file to dl it.  I read a review which compares OOo
1.1 with FrameMaker (a wellknown DTP program) and Microsoft Word, and
OOo appears to have best of both worlds.  This is truly amazing.

Now about using "OpenOffice to do coding".  Of course, nobody will do
that.  But nothing will prevent you from doing that, either.  The only
thing you need to do is, save it as a .txt (text) file.  This will
eliminate all the unnecessary formatting coding.  OTOH, OpenOffice has
an "auto complete" feature, which non-programmers like myself may find
neat when using OOo to do some "coding".