[luau] Open Office Malahini

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Nov 1 23:45:02 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 21:04, Ben Timmerman wrote:
> I've been real silent on this list since being very stupid a while back
> concerning list etiquette but in the last couple days have gotten my
> first exposure to Open Office and need someone's imput.
>
> Two questions:
> First, which of the Open Office utilites is the one to code in?  I'm
> coding some Java and my first stab has me using the *.sxw file format
> which apparently includes some unnecessary formatting that the compiler
> wrinkles it's nose at.

Absolutely nobody uses OpenOffice to do coding.  OpenOffice is suited
only for office-type documents... typing papers, page layout,
spreadsheets, etc.

For coding you should use one of the traditional editors like vim or
emacs, or one of the newer editors like gedit which have MANY plugins
that support coding.

Otherwise a full featured IDE environment like Eclipse is quickly
growing in popularity for development of many different languages.

> Finally, What is the best hard copy reference for the Open Office
> Suite?  I know we're supposed to be "online" oriented but I find myself
> more and more looking forward to reading a physical text from time to
> time.  Thanx, Ben Timmerman

Probably best to go with Sun's StarOffice 7 documentation.  It is very
complete and most of it pertains to OpenOffice 1.1.

Warren