[luau] HOSEF Workshop

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat May 24 10:11:01 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 10:05, Jan Daniel Semrau wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would really love to fly over to you guys to check things out, but I
> right now Hawaii is too far away :-(
> However, I am currently planning to reuse some of my old boxen to use
> them as terminal clients. I already downloaded the ltsp documentation.
> And that seems to be pretty straight forward. Is it possible to use an
> LSTP setup to view Video, stream mp3, use Open Office, Gimp, or Blender
> on those machines?

Possible, but will take some tweaking and experimentation to make it
stable.  You will also easily eat most of a 100mbit network.  Any
instability in the cards, drivers or cables will cause it to fail.

> Any recommendations about Distributions?  What
> computing/memory power in needed on the client and the server side? Do
> the mentioned Linksys cards in the documentation work with VIA Epia
> boards (I love mini-itx) ? O.k. I am losing my focus...dreaming of a
> whole house of nifty Mini-ITX mods with flashy TFT's :-) Oh, wait in
> reality its 15'' CRT's and 486en's.

486's probably wont be able to use any PCI network cards.

Beware of the Linksys LNE100TX PCI cards.  While the v4.1 version works
great in Linux, they're currently selling v5.x in stores which I have
never been able to make it work stable in Linux.

Warren