[luau] configuring spamassassin

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Thu May 22 21:52:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 06:03:47PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> I have recently upgraded my home server from rhat 7.2 to 8.0.
> I am having trouble with spamassassin. ps -ax reveals that it
> is running, but I am still getting spam, and mail to my domain
> does not have the exciting spamassassin results in the header.

SA only marks spam. It does not bounce it. Look into SA-Exim for
an easy way to bounce spam.

A concern with SA is that the software evolves very quickly. As
spammers work around existing rules, SA is updates to stay ahead
of the spammers. Version 2.55 was just released this week. I
strongly suggest upgrading from source.

> I have looked at all of my /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf files,
> but I just don't see what I can change or edit to give me the
> spam results in my headers or to just block the spam.

The easiest way to use procmail to trigger the filtering. Here
is a workable recipe you can add to ~/.procmailrc to get you
started:

  :0
  * < 256000
  {
    :0 Afw
    | spamassassin
  }

  :0:
  SPAM

This will filter any messages with scores of 8 or more into a
mailbox called SPAM for later review. Matching on the level is
more granular that matching for "yes" or "no" in some online
guides.

And the obligatory links:

http://spamassassin.org/dist/INSTALL
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=spamassassin-talk&r=1&w=2