[luau] Personal Touch (was anyone know of a good computer repair place?)

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 08:50:01 PST 2003

>1) Whirring sound (like a fan) when running which
>wasn't the case when things were fine and beautiful.
>The sound will sometimes kick into high gear and that
>is the system's signal that it is about to crash.

If a walks like a duck.... :-)  It probably is a fan.

>2) Sometimes the system boots and sometimes it
>doesn't.  If it fails, I'll get the XP version of the
>blue screen of death.  (The sceen isn't blue but the
>text which indicates the crash address and other
>diagnostic info is.)
>
>3) If it manages to boot successfully, several system
>failure errors are generated.  Sometimes that's eough
>to halt the system, sometimes not.
>
>4) If I can proceed at all (which lately is not the
>case) then evetually the whirring noise gets loud
>enough and then BOOM.

This definitaley sounds like your CPU is overheating.

I agree with Mike.  Your fan is probably bad, or possibly some wire or
something
is block it from spinning properly (either could make your fan noisey).

If i were you i would open the case up and see if anything is blocking
the fan....
If so, unblock the fan.

If nothing is blocking the fan then pull the fan off and replace it.
You may wanna
pull the fan off anyway to clear any dust bunnies that have built up
(canned
air works well).

--Ray