[luau] Firewall

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Tue Mar 4 22:50:01 PST 2003

> Yes. I think it depends mostly on the skill set of the
> administrator and the budget available. Do not forget to
> consider Checkpoint and Netscreen.

We are going to get the Checkpoint package, they said it should be on at least
SunFire 280R,  so we had the vendor ordering a 280R.  We also have two
Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance, they are Linux based, strip down rh with
Raptor software, not bad for it's function, but hated it's client, only run
on Windows, looks like a few mods from it's windows version.  Sometime it
reboot the appliance like what it should do on NT when applying changes.

I like bsd also, ipfw is pretty good and solid, but I only use it as a
bandwidth manager, looking into adding transparent fw on top of it if I have
time.

oh.. the Raptor Appliance is very picky on NIC for system restore from CD, if
the file system get damaged.