[luau] Firewall

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Mar 4 23:08:00 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:52:56AM -1000, whenever wrote:
> We are going to get the Checkpoint package, they said it
> should be on at least SunFire 280R, so we had the vendor
> ordering a 280R.

Did you consider the Nokia/Checkpoint boxes? They run on IPSO,
a modified version of FreeBSD. You might be able to get a second
redundant server by switching architectures.

> We also have two Symantec Firewall/VPN Appliance, they are
> Linux based, strip down rh with Raptor software, not bad for
> it's function, but hated it's client, only run on Windows,
> looks like a few mods from it's windows version. Sometime
> it reboot the appliance like what it should do on NT when
> applying changes.

I like Cisco's (IPSEC) VPN solution for roaming users. In
addition to Windows clients, they also offer Linux, Mac OS,
and Solaris support. (Admittedly, I have not used the Linux
or Solaris client for it yet.)

-Vince