[luau] Firewall

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Mar 4 21:32:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:06:36PM -1000, Randall Oshita wrote:
> Can Mandrake's Corporate Edition Firewall compete with
> Sonicwall SOHO3 or even the PROS or the Watch Guards or Cisco?

Yes. I think it depends mostly on the skill set of the
administrator and the budget available. Do not forget to
consider Checkpoint and Netscreen.

What is the size of the company? What kind of upstream bandwith
is there now? In a year? What features are desired vs. needed?

> Lets say the Linux box has the better hardware (1Ghz cpu 1G RAM
> etc..- overkill but for this example)

For a small company and the right software, you might be able to
get away with running a firewall on a 386.

> Does the throughput depend on the software or the hardware?

Both.

-Vince