[luau] Firewall

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Tue Mar 4 21:23:00 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:06:36PM -1000, Randall Oshita wrote:
> Can Mandrake's Corporate Edition Firewall compete with Sonicwall SOHO3
> or even the PROS or the Watch Guards or Cisco? Lets say the Linux box
> has the better hardware (1Ghz cpu 1G RAM etc..- overkill but for this
> example)

You can do VPNs with Linux.  In the long run, a cheaper investment for your network than Cisco- imho.  I would use an OpenBSD firewall, personally.

> Does the throughput depend on the software or the hardware?

Mostly, it depends on the size of the upstream pipe. ;)

Unless you are looking at border routing (ie, peering with MAE-West), most "good" cards (3c905c, tulip, etc...) should do the trick.

> Anyone know the throughput for the Mandrake firewall?

hmm, maybe someone at the company has a clue.