[luau] learning the hardware end

Luis aka Rigpa rigpa108 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:21:01 PST 2003

>Specifically regarding embedded Linux systems, we could get
>together and discuss it, but given a target audience of public
>schools, I am very unclear how such a technology can be
>effectively applied to old hardware.

I put forth the idea of embedded linux on old computers as a random
brainstorming idea, without much consideration on benefits as it applies to
HOSEF or problems with implemetation.

Having said that, the logic was as follows:

Embedded linux was designed for resource challenged computers > old pentium
166s are resource challenged computers.  Applications written for embedded
linux tend to be streamlined and efficient so as to run properly on these
resource challenged computers > old pentium 166s can benefit from
streamlined and efficient applications.  Thus why not embedded linux and
it's applications on an old 166?

One thing I know is that the Debian/KDE installation I had on my 166 was not
something I would like students using for a class on word processing or
spreadsheets.  It was way too sloooow.  To me, if you sacrifice some
funtionality in order to gain speed and responsiveness it would be a good
tradeoff, since the longer you can keep the student's attention/interest the
more he/she will learn.

I might be wrong on the linux performance issue when used on a 166.  It
might have been that my non-existent linux skills were the catalysts to a
lousy linux installation, thus degrading performance of my computer to snail
speed.  But if snail speed is the norm when running a standard version of
linux on a 166, then I would highly recommend looking for a way to improve
performance.

My observation and comments are based on running GUI linux apps on a 166.
If the 166s are being setup to teach terminal based apps then the speed and
responsiveness of GUI apps might not be an issue.

Is there a website that has more details on HOSEF?  Mabe I can do some
reading up before attending the meeting this saturday.  That way I could be
more in-tune with the direction you guys are headding.

Thanks,
Luis.