[luau] What's the deal with SCO Unix?

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Jul 23 08:56:00 PDT 2003

Talk is cheap.  So far it appears that the Linux/FOSS community is not
taking the SCO suit seriously.  However, if things get nasty, e.g.,
suppose your clients decide not to deploy your customized Linux system
becasue of the ostensibly frivolous SCO law suit, then I suppose we will
see class actions sprouted from the Linux community against SCO AND
those who use SCO as an alter ego like you have never seen before.

(SCO is in the brink of bankruptcy, no one will be interested in going
after it.  Suppose you win, so what?  But there is a well established
legal tool called "piercing the corporate veil", which allows plaintiffs
to seek damages against individuals who use the corporation as a
personal instrument.  And if we are talking about Mr. Bill Gates being
the main potential culprit--does anyone believe that Microsoft is not
behind the SCO soup opera? then the pocket is very deep.)

Wayne