[luau] dirty cookie trick(?)

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Jul 7 11:28:00 PDT 2003

Virgil wrote:
> Scott,
>
> You can have you browser set to not accept cookies or have it notify you
> when its asking for a cookie. You can even clear your browser of all cookies
> if you want it to. Cookies doesn't have to and cannot permanently reside on
> your harddrive.

I should be a smidgeon more clear.  I don't accept cookies by default.
I tend to be less skeptical of offers to accept ssl certificates.  I
have to wonder if doubleclick has considered this and decided to embed
their ads in ssl so as to shield the user from the offer to accept
cookies from its domain.  I just don't know if they could gather some of
the same metrics from this method vs. using cookies.

--scott